Tuesday, May 17, 2011

being hunted

{ I }
Val Plumwood, "Being Prey," 1995 (reprinted in the Utne Reader as "Surviving a Crocodile Attack" in 2000)*:
It seems to me that in the human supremacist culture of the West there is a strong effort to deny that we humans are also animals positioned in the food chain. This denial that we ourselves are food for others is reflected in many aspects of our death and burial practices—the strong coffin, conventionally buried well below the level of soil fauna activity, and the slab over the grave to prevent any other thing from digging us up, keeps the Western human body from becoming food for other species. Horror movies and stories also reflect this deep-seated dread of becoming food for other forms of life: Horror is the wormy corpse, vampires sucking blood, and alien monsters eating humans. Horror and outrage usually greet stories of other species eating humans. Even being nibbled by leeches, sand flies, and mosquitoes can stir various levels of hysteria.
This concept of human identity positions humans outside and above the food chain, not as part of the feast in a chain of reciprocity but as external manipulators and masters of it: Animals can be our food, but we can never be their food. The outrage we experience at the idea of a human being eaten is certainly not what we experience at the idea of animals as food. The idea of human prey threatens the dualistic vision of human mastery in which we humans manipulate nature from outside, as predators but never prey. We may daily consume other animals by the billions, but we ourselves cannot be food for worms and certainly not meat for crocodiles. This is one reason why we now treat so inhumanely the animals we make our food, for we cannot imagine ourselves similarly positioned as food. We act as if we live in a separate realm of culture in which we are never food, while other animals inhabit a different world of nature in which they are no more than food, and their lives can be utterly distorted in the service of this end.
Before the encounter, it was as if I saw the whole universe as framed by my own narrative, as though the two were joined perfectly and seamlessly together. As my own narrative and the larger story were ripped apart, I glimpsed a shockingly indifferent world in which I had no more significance than any other edible being. The thought, This can't be happening to me, I'm a human being. I am more than just food! was one component of my terminal incredulity. It was a shocking reduction, from a complex human being to a mere piece of meat. Reflection has persuaded me that not just humans but any creature can make the same claim to be more than just food. We are edible, but we are also much more than edible. Respectful, ecological eating must recognize both of these things. I was a vegetarian at the time of my encounter with the crocodile, and remain one today. This is not because I think predation itself is demonic and impure, but because I object to the reduction of animal lives in factory farming systems that treat them as living meat.

{ II }

Not being prey is not always a sure thing for humans - not all humans anyway - in Western history. In New World slavery, for example, one can be meat for animals without necessarily being food. Or perhaps the correct word is flesh? Among other hideous things, racism is a system which has historically made some people's flesh subject to animal violence.

{ III }
Dog bite genealogy: more images along this vein I've been collecting over at Tumblr.

- - -

* Plumwood's memorial website has a Word version of this essay, which is how I first read it. But the file ended up crashing my computer - so avoid it!

3 comments:

Gavan said...

Thanks for your recent posts. I'm enjoying reading them. Thinking about your juxtapositions--while slavery is a part of Western history, would slaves be considered Western? Plumwood is writing about a cultural perspective of species supremacy, but I would suspect that slaves (and slavery) have to be kept out of that sphere (the act of Othering). The argument might be made that Plumwood is correct, then. While there is a history of humans being prey (or flesh), part of the defining characteristic of "being Western" is this othering.

christina m. chia said...

Many thanks for your comment!!

I think slavery - specifically the Atlantic "triangular" system - is an inextricable part of the history of the Americas and therefore also the West at large. And I think you're exactly right that the othering of slaves (and indigenous people) is deeply tied up with being "Western" or "European," whether in Europe or in the Americas.

I also agree that Plumwood's diagnosis of the problem of human species supremacy is right on. My point - which I had trouble articulating! - is that there are other humans in what we would generally call "the West" who have also confronted that terror of being meat/flesh - and in quite systematic ways. My sense is that scholars have treated that history primarily in terms of race - I'm trying to think of it in terms of species also. My thoughts are still kind of garbled on this... thanks for helping me work it through!

christina m. chia said...

Oh and thinking more specifically in the Australian context: I started reading Deborah Bird Rose's "Wild Dog Dreaming" recently. (Rose cites Plumwood as one of her major influences - which is actually what led me to the Plumwood article in the first place!) There are some powerful passages connecting the mass killings of dingoes and historical massacres of aboriginal communities.

I think what I'm searching for is something like perspectives on being human that emerge from historical experiences of being treated as not human (by other humans). Is that "only" a victim's POV or could it be part of the groundwork of some kind of, to use your term, post-species supremacy?